- ‘System failure’ allowed abuse of students
A procedural breakdown allowed a school counsellor to sexually abuse a significant number of students, a royal commission has heard.
- The Educator Weekend wrap: Hope for Gonski, feminism classes and how to deal with angry parents
Making news this week, the PM hints at funding the final two years of Gonski, feminism classes are introduced in a Victorian school and we explore how to deal with angry parents.
- Safe Schools program not so safe for kids, say academics
A national anti-bullying program to help schools accept and support young Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Inter-sex (LGBTI) is under fire over some of its teachings.
- Indigenous students ‘closing education gap’
While recent data showing a spike in Indigenous Year 12 completion levels is encouraging, more needs to be done to close the gap in rural and remote areas, say researchers.
- Far Out Friday: Student writes epic response to school’s dress code
It’s certainly not be the first time a student has spoken up about sexist school dress codes, but this student’s response deserves to be shared.
- Calls to overhaul ‘decades old’ school funding model
School communities win when schools support staff are properly supported to do their jobs, says Together Queensland secretary, Alex Scott.