The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

What’s behind the shortage of male teachers?

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 01 Oct 2015, 08:23 AM Agree 0
New research from the Australian Catholic University (ACU) shows a significant shortage of male primary school teachers. The Educator talks to associate professor Philip Riley from the ACU to find out why.
  • Callum | 01 Oct 2015, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    As a Male primary school teacher who recently graduated the gender imbalance didn't factor in my decision to become a teacher. One thing that I did detest hearing whilst I was studying was "you'll get a job, you're a male", as if my merit as an educator would have no impact on a prospective principals decision to hire me.
  • Steve | 16 Oct 2015, 11:53 AM Agree 0
    I recently quit teaching primary school (10 yrs) and went back to construction. I was the last full time male classroom teacher in the entire town of 12000 people and four primary schools. It's not about status...or money. It's about the relentless expectations, unproductive record keeping and justification of your every move and the ongoing "you'll never ever be good enough" professional development culture.
    I loved my job and got good results from the kids but the frantic pace and recurrent heart palpitations (that have since stopped) was what drove me out of the role. I have a life again...just a little less money!
Post a reply