The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

What do transgender students mean for single-sex schools?

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 27 Feb 2017, 10:00 AM Agree 0
Can an all-boys or all-girls school enrol a student who is transitioning into a member of the opposite sex? Here is how one school has responded to this scenario
  • | 01 Mar 2017, 05:15 AM Agree 0
    As the Executive Director of the Girls Athletic Leadership School Los Angeles (GALS LA), my board and leadership team have put a lot of thought into this issue. We have a rich social emotional curriculum that teaches our students to love themselves and others no matter what background, race, sexual orientation or identity, religion they come from. If a student is questioning in any area of their life, I believe this is a supportive and loving place for them to gain more clarity and love themselves as they go through whatever they need to go through.

We have already experienced several students transition to boys at the GALS location in Denver. In all cases, the students preferred to be around other boys and transferred to a co-ed location at the end of the of the school year. Our school policy allows students who transition to boys to remain at GALS for as long as they want.

Carrie Wagner
    Executive Director
    GALS LA
Post a reply