The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Teachers lack bullying education, says expert

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 02 Apr 2015, 07:44 AM Agree 0
HAVE YOUR SAY: Do you feel you have been given proper training to address the issue of bullying at your school?
  • Lorribev | 02 Apr 2015, 10:11 AM Agree 0
    Interesting and important reflective article. There are so many levels that bullying pervades education. We all need our awareness raised, and a shared understanding, language to identify, discuss and reflect on it.
  • Principal Lyn | 02 Apr 2015, 10:12 AM Agree 0
    Seriously!!!! Expectations on teachers is becoming overwhelming. Fund schools differently if we are to become the society "fix it" squad.
  • JoeCitizen | 02 Apr 2015, 10:22 AM Agree 0
    Bullying is such a misunderstood issue, but is it an issue for schools? Some advocate tougher punishments for bullies while others try to prevent it through highlighting the damage it is causing. The cycle seems to be perpetuated by viewing it through the same lens and not digging into the root causes. Sometimes bullies are children who face the same abuse at home as they deal out in the schoolyard (physical assault, verbal abuse, etc). Bullies are vulnerable children too. But what to do when they take that anger and humiliation they experience at home into the schoolyard and vent it there?
  • Andrew Ex-Head | 02 Apr 2015, 12:21 PM Agree 0
    There's no doubt that much is being done in our schools to address bullying; there is still much to be done. However, I call for more action on the bullying of teachers that occurs on a scale that I think would alarm the general public. It is disheartening to hear of respectable, adult colleagues being so badly disrespected as they go about their important business. Please can we talk about this too?
  • Love my job | 02 Apr 2015, 01:48 PM Agree 0
    The problems that underpin bullying are psychological (the bully has power issues/anger issues/depression/comes from a violent family) and therefore should be treated as such. Teachers are NOT psychologists. We are teachers. When we consider a simple fact like that, it is not wonder that 'teachers are not trained to reduce bullying.'
    Also ther problem and therefore the solution is multi layered. It is wrong just to say "teachers should fix this" [not quotes from the article..just heresay/discourse] or "anti bullying must start in school and teachers should do more".
    What teachers can do is role model and also discipline the bully accordingly...but there lies another problem - not only do teachers NOT have the resources and power to do a lot of this, it sends an ironic message to the bully, doesn't it: " be bad and we will make you even more upset and then you'll be worse and fighting anger with anger helps." And when we consider that, it becomes very very tiring for everyone.
    Teachers are called upon to remedy 1000 problems for 100s of kids, everyday. I don't have the answer, but I have something to say which is: GET OFF TEACHERS' BACKS.
Post a reply