The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Student dies during school camp

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 24 Feb 2016, 08:19 AM Agree 0
A high school student has died after falling ill while on a school camp in South Australia.
  • Stephen Walker | 24 Feb 2016, 01:21 PM Agree 0
    As much as I understand the complexity of the Principal's role in a school, I can't for the life of me understand how an excursion of this style, to South Australia's outback in mid - February was ever sanctioned. Surely the risk assessment around 40 plus degree days being almost a certainty would be an issue? The fittest of adults rarely plan such events this time of year, and those that do wouldn't take on board someone else's health and safety too willingly.

Whilst we would often acknowledge some events being tragic accidents, I firmly believe this one shouldn't have had a chance.
  • parent | 24 Feb 2016, 07:45 PM Agree 0
    This surely has to be reviewed. The fact that this is such a remote place and conditions so harsh and that these kids would not all have the fitness and the training to do this should have been weighed in more heavily than the lessons that they will learn. That child will never see adulthood, those parents have lost their child. Bugger the lessons I say, they can be learnt in much safer ways.
  • Teacher | 25 Feb 2016, 09:03 PM Agree 0
    This is a very sad outcome for all concerned. Outdoor Education can be a very important part of a young persons growth as an individual. But it must be very wisely planned for, and remote hiking in extreme heat is something that is a challenge for the most experienced of outdoor adventurers. No doubt a review will take place. But tragically a young life has been lost and all involved changed forever. Deepest condolences to all involved in this tragedy.
Post a reply