The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

State facing shortage of principals…but why?

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 03 Jul 2015, 08:30 AM Agree 0
Changes must be made to ensure the role of principal is both sustainable and attractive, says a leading voice for principals.
  • Darren. | 03 Jul 2015, 10:20 AM Agree 0
    The problem is the department of education and the government are throwing more and more into principals and relieving themselves of account abilities and issues. The job is no longer attractive nor is there any incentive. Doing the principalship now is not as rewarding as it once was. As a principal you are no longer a leader of education you are a business manger with minimal support. The younger executive see this and lose interest in the position.
  • Chris | 11 Jul 2015, 10:35 AM Agree 0
    As a Victorian principal, I agree. The job is becoming more and more demanding and there isn't the financial reward. Our salary includes our super contribution yet the classroom teachers who are at the top of their pay scale earn slightly less. The stresses and issues aren't worth it. At 41 (and already being in the Prin class salary for 10 years), I can't imagine doing this job until 65!
Post a reply