The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Should primary school principals be paid more?

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 06 Mar 2017, 11:00 AM Agree 0
The changing nature of education means the task of heading a primary school is becoming more complex – so should primary principals be paid more?
  • Special Education | 06 Mar 2017, 02:41 PM Agree 0
    Well I simply don't know where to begin?

Chris Presland states that "Generally high schools have more students and as result many more staff". He fails to mention that those secondary staff allocations include supplementations that primary, and special schools (which have a k-12 enrolment and are still staffed on primary formulas) don't get.

Executive positions in primary and special schools have RFF (release from face to face) of .042 (2 hours per week) and the same-pay executive in a high school gets 0.2 (6 hours per week -triple that of their primary equivalent) or 0.5 if you count deputy principals. Also high schools have sufficient additional supplementation to offer relief to staff such as sports organiser, computer coordinator, year advisers etc. They also qualify for the Small School Supplementation of up to 3.5 FTE additional staff allocation (schools up to 350 enrolment). This is not available to primary schools.

Obviously my special needs primary and secondary students don't need these positions as we don't attract this allocation. As Dennis Yarrington states "there is no inclusion for the complexity of the role". As a special education principal I can more than adequately describe my definition of complexity if requested. My final question is, does the number of students and staff mean that you get quality leadership. If you have 1500 students does that mean the school has the best principal and the school with 30 students has the worst? It beggars belief!
  • Another astounding special educator | 06 Mar 2017, 04:00 PM Agree 0
    I listened to a visiting Canadian principal some years ago (7-8). From memory the system at the time in Canada was that there were different pay scales for principals but they were not based on the complexity of the school or size but their years of service and qualifications. There were only 3-4 levels. What I found amazing was that principals were moved around to a different school every 3 years. You were moved to a school that needed your particular skills, talents and knowledge at that time. You were a sort of generic principal who could be placed in a primary or high school. So the role demanded a large skill-set. It would certainly do away with this particular argument about size versus complexity
  • Michelle Wilson | 07 Mar 2017, 06:05 PM Agree 0
    The complexity, leadership and professional capabilities are the same for primary and secondary principals.
    In my experience and based on SRP the funding model, secondary students are funded more per head and they are provided with more resources and facilities. Primary principals are doing more with less, while supporting families and catering for children when they experience the most growth and development.
    School size, level of qualifications, experiences and SFO should all be taken into account when reviewing salaries fro school leaders.
Post a reply