The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Screen time: how much is too much?

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 09 Jun 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
With the shift to digital learning gathering pace, The Educator looks at the effects that screen time can have on physical and cognitive health.
  • AnilG | 09 Jun 2015, 10:32 AM Agree 0
    It's difficult to take any practical action in response to this report as discussed here. What is needed is a breakdown between desktop or laptop computer screen time, where the screen is positioned somewhat according to ergonomic recommendations, allowing the back and neck to be more-or-less vertical, and tablet screen time, where pretty much invariably the screen is at a very low position forcing the head to angle down 45 degrees and arching the back.

I suspect the kind of position normally used with tablets is extremely damaging and a report to clarify that would help schools formulate appropriate policy.

Of course a large number of adults use desktop computers for 8 hours or more a day. Older students would also be used to a significant number of hours at the screen. However, since primary children are using tablets at school for work and at home for play I would really appreciate some assessment of the risk of acute or chronic problems.
Post a reply