The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Schools to teach students about domestic violence prevention

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 24 Jul 2015, 08:08 AM Agree 0
Schools must teach students how to identify the warning signs of domestic violence so they can take action, says Adam Marshall, Member for Northern Tablelands.
  • Sandra D'Mello | 24 Jul 2015, 12:28 PM Agree 0
    I am a recently qualified graduate and am fortunate enough to teach in a girls' school in a bay side suburb in Melbourne. I have been thinking about this issue and would love to introduce the topic to our students, however I would love to know more about how to approach it in a manner that is appropriate to the primary year levels. I think that an issue like this can be structured so that it is introduced to students in varying degrees of detail. Giving them information about accessing a helpline for instance in the early years. Furthermore, I strongly believe that children, no matter how young, are very emotionally savvy.

Empowering our children to recognise the signs of domestic violence and enabling them to seek help when the abused parent is perhaps in a vulnerable position will be of enormous benefit not only to the parent involved, but to the safety of the children themselves.

As educators, we owe it to ourselves to publicise this topic nationwide.

• Freethechildren from domestic violence | 28 Oct 2015, 07:47 PM Agree 0
    I believe this is a great and much needed addition into the NSW educational system! It'll not only allow younger people to understand that what is happening within their homes is not acceptable, but also find the help they need. It'll provide them with the opportunity to open up dialogue to the people they trust and identify, report and protect themselves and others from any sort of violence within the home. In the case of the little girl who petitioned for this change... if only she was aware that the violence within her home was not normal, she could of gotten the help she needed and saved her mum. It's also a great initiative to start teaching younger children about prevention, positive relationships, the idea about respect, and the importance of leading safe and healthy lives!

I guess my only concern or more so confusion is why they haven't implemented this into the primary school syllabus. Education surrounding the topic should begin earlier than year 8... I mean, research even shows that early education and intervention about violence is a critical factor in fighting against the scourge of domestic violence. So the earlier they learn that domestic violence is wrong, what appropriate behaviour looks like and that there are logical consequences for not following the rules (not physical or verbal violence of course!), the chances of the child becoming violent in the future is significantly reduced.

I am currently running a domestic violence campaign for the children, would love it if you could check it out https://www.facebook.com/freethechildrenfromdomesticviolence/
Post a reply