The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

School counsellors being undermined – teachers

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 02 Mar 2016, 10:22 AM Agree 0
Teachers are taking the NSW Government to the Industrial Relations Commission, accusing it of “downgrading” school counsellors’ qualifications.
  • Concerned Clinical Psychologist | 20 Mar 2016, 03:02 PM Agree 0
    I'm Clinical Psychologist and work as a School Counsellor in a Private School. Mr Piccoli's comments about Mr Mulherone prioritising control and power of the Teacher Union over student emotional wellbeing is right on the mark, and I am appalled by Mr Mulherone's efforts to stall Government's plans to address workforce shortage to provide our kids with much needed mental health support. Adolescent mental health is in a state of crisis right now - there is no time for Teacher Union politics. Mr Mulherone's comments show me he is clearly out of touch with the current climate, and not understanding that we currently loose one young person to suicide every day around Australia. We know from beyondblue research that 1 in 16 young Australians battle depression daily; 1 in 6 suffering from an anxiety disorder daily, 1 in four young Australians meets criteria for a diagnosable mental health disorder, and self-harm is rife. We know 1 in 10 students endorse suicidal ideation at one point throughout their schooling, and youth suicide rates around Australia is now the leading cause of death for young people, having increased by 10% from last year. We need to address task force shortage now; there is no time to waste. All of our kids deserve quality mental health support, from sophisticated mental health professionals who have requisite skills to conduct quality clinical assessments, and formulate comprehensive management plans. Clinicians who have strong diagnostic knowledge, and understanding of best practice clinical guidelines and intervention approaches and clinical experience across diverse settings. If psychologists and psychiatrists are good enough to provide clinical care to our most vulnerable in hospital and government health settings, surely they are good enough to provide our children with quality mental health support within school setting.
Post a reply