The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Principals warn against holidays during school term

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 13 Aug 2015, 08:19 AM Agree 0
HAVE YOUR SAY: Should holidays be taken during term time?
  • Totara | 13 Aug 2015, 04:26 PM Agree 0
    There are so many different cases that I feel you cannot generalise when it comes to the impact on student's learning. Like many other teachers I usually encourage my students to keep a diary recording their highlights, learning, thoughts and feelings. This is shared with the class on their return. In my experience students 'learn' a considerable amount when travelling, particularly if they are experiencing other cultures different from their own. I understand that there can be issues with some families and I am speaking from a Primary School perspective, but we need to remember that not everyone fits into this category. Maybe we need to target the airlines, as I too find it an incredible expense to travel during the school holidays. It generally costs twice as much or more, compared to the cost of travelling during the school term.
  • | 14 Aug 2015, 09:50 AM Agree 0
    It seems that principals only approve of learning that takes place under their supervision. They've obviously forgotten, or choose to ignore the learning that can and does take place outside of classrooms. The major benefit cited for attending school in this article is improved performance on a written test. While I agree that education is important, school is not the only place where learning and education occurs, and passing tests is not the ultimate goal of education, despite what many would like us to believe.
Post a reply