The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Principals, teachers win pay rise in landmark deal

Notify me of new replies via email
  • Vicki watson | 23 Mar 2017, 11:13 PM Agree 0
    A fair and just in principal agreement I think. Conditions relating to more secure employment for ES Staff are very welcome. Principal salaries needed to be considered more equitably - size of school does not always mean more or less challenge - school context should be reflected in remuneration. Why do qualifications still mean little in terms of remuneration? Years of experience at PC level still have little impact upon contract remuneration. Applicants new to PC AP level are able currently to achieve Prin positions at higher classification than experience warrants. Shortage or no shortage this situation makes no sense.
  • Not impressed | 24 Mar 2017, 02:52 PM Agree 0
    Four extra days of preparation time equates to about 30 hours of work. When you work a 53 hour week, those 30 hours are gone quickly. So in reality, our work conditions have barely improved. Where's the reduction of face to face teaching? Where's the cap on meetings? Where's the recognition that yard duties are part of face to face? If you ask me, it's a pathetic deal.
  • Disappointed | 24 Mar 2017, 03:30 PM Agree 0
    The AEU are losing their membership base because they have not represented the concerns of teachers equitably. Teachers work long hours and are dealing with a complex environment that surpasses education. They should be paid double what they are currently been paid.
  • A sell out | 24 Mar 2017, 09:54 PM Agree 0
    A pathetic sell out by the union. As if anything in this agreement will compensate for or reduce the crippling workload. I have been teaching for 30 plus years and what is expected of teachers now is far too unreasonable. Many terrific fellow staff get crushed by the hours and expectations and go off on stress leave or leave after burning out. The union should be sacked. Waste of money paying union fees.
  • A sell out | 24 Mar 2017, 10:05 PM Agree 0
    Pathetic agreement. Doesn't address workload at all. The union is not worth being in. They haven't the guts to goes against the Andrews government. I am not paying any more union fees. Waste of money.
Post a reply