The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Parents pay price for overcrowded schools

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 16 Sep 2016, 03:50 PM Agree 0
Parents at a Melbourne school claim they are being shut out of after school care as part of a ‘sneaky new tactic’ to reduce high enrolments.
  • Matt Sherling | 16 Sep 2016, 05:23 PM Agree 0
    Good article. More schools are definitely needed!
  • David | 20 Sep 2016, 07:38 AM Agree 0
    Certainly a strong case for more inner city and properly zoned schools to cater for student numbers in high demand areas.

However, if the numbers quoted in the article are to be believed (165 spots and 600 missing out) - how on earth is any school supposed to cope with over 700 students in OOSH care? The demands on schools in any system is great enough without expecting them then to provide facilities, activities and care for students for an additional 2-3 hours before or after school. I would suggest that the limitations is more to do with duty of care and less to do with "punishing" working parents. The "loophole" of not having to provide OOSH care is not there for that reason, it is there to put a limit on what a publicly funded education is capable of providing.

Push for more schools in the right areas and reduce the demands on an already overtaxed education system rather than try to force local schools to cater for students in numbers they are not built to safely support and care for.
    • Melbourne mum | 20 Sep 2016, 02:48 PM Agree 0
      I don't think that's what the article's saying, David. The loophole is about having the right to your zoned school but no access to OSHC and what that means for working parents. Clearly, this school is overcrowded overwhelmed and there need more schools which I think is the clear message here.

• Georgia | 26 Sep 2016, 08:29 PM Agree 0
    Wow, this is really interesting. We have waiting lists in NSW too.
    Good to see it being reported on.
Post a reply