The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Outrage after students re-enact beheading

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 22 Apr 2016, 08:59 AM Agree 0
HAVE YOUR SAY: Are Biblical beheading re-enactments in SRE lessons inappropriate?
  • Mr H | 22 Apr 2016, 03:37 PM Agree 0
    Yes, please show sensitivity whilst carrying out your beheading scene kids.
  • Kanti | 23 Apr 2016, 11:58 AM Agree 0
    I teach RE at a local school and taught this particlar lesson recently. Some scenes in the bible are pretty raw and ugly but never the less very accurate, that's history, the bible is in one sense a accurate history book and no different from any other history book, however whether we teach certain facts about history to certain age of children is another question i think. If children, or for that matter, anyone are taught bible history without proper context then I can see a potential problem. Sensitivity should be exercised in teaching certain material to very young children, especially if they are incapable of processing at such a early age.
    I don't have a problem with teaching the whole bible and re-enacting the beheading of Goliath for that matter, as long as the students are mature enough to process the context.
    I have however held back teaching some contents of the bible to adults even who may not have been ready to understand some difficult passages found in the bible.
    Sensitivity needs to be exercised.
    • Tinker | 26 Apr 2016, 11:11 PM Agree 0
      It's a problem no matter how well you repackage the story. What most people will make of it and specially kids is that violence and in this case a beheading is permissable as long as God is on their side. Re enactment of the killing it is just another way of enforcing this message.
  • Peter | 24 Apr 2016, 07:38 AM Agree 0
    It is normal across school curricula to re-enact a broad range of historical events so, setting aside religious beliefs, it is not an unusual occurrence. Having said this, in every situation that this is done, and no matter what the scene, it needs to be done with sensitivity, in an appropriate context and with age appropriateness. (The article is not clear on these points ... It may have been fine).
  • Cathy | 25 Apr 2016, 12:06 AM Agree 0
    Credit to the parent group 'Queensland Parents for Secular State Schools' for uncovering this.
  • Lady Mc | 25 Apr 2016, 01:27 PM Agree 0
    Sorry guys but has anyone read MACBETH? Classic Shakespeare taught in schools. Involves lots of beheading.
    Oh and the French Revolution. Beheading there too guys, that Marie Antoinette chick cops it.
    Can't shield children from the realities of the world, but having said that this is perhaps not quite appropriate content for Year 6.
Post a reply