The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

No govt favouritism of private schools, says principal

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 02 Feb 2015, 03:01 PM Agree 0
HAVE YOUR SAY: Do you think a disparity exists between public and private schools?
  • RayR | 03 Feb 2015, 10:42 AM Agree 0
    Wasn't there a well respected panel led by Professor Gonski that recommended a system of funding for schools that was based on equity, regardless of the education sector? All schools regardless of sector (public, private, Catholic systemic) would recieve a base allocation and those schools with a demonstrated greater need would get loadings to promote equity and excellence regardless of postcode.

In the NSW Department of Education & Training, this concept is working well. The better off public schools get "enough" but the disadvantaged schools get relatively more per student. I think that's fair. It's certainly transparent. I think the Gonski formula is fair too! No public-private divide, just equity and fairness for all schools in an Australia that believes in a "fair go for all".
  • Stu | 11 Feb 2015, 09:37 AM Agree 0
    He fails to explain why "Private" Schools should be funded by the government at all. There is public benefit in public schools and that is why it is in the best interests of all Australians that every child should receive a high quality education regardless of their parents income or social circumstances. Schools that have unjust entry barriers (such as thousands of dollars in school fees each year) don't provide access in an equitable way. There is a difference between equality and equity.

The argument that private schools need more funding doesn't stack up when you drive past their glimmering Olympic swimming pools, polo grounds and manicured lawns. It is a question of priorities.
Post a reply