The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

New study touts solution to teacher drop-outs

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 14 Apr 2016, 08:59 AM Agree 0
There may be a way to help retain new teachers and restore much-needed faith in the profession, a new study suggests.
  • Concerned | 17 Apr 2016, 06:13 AM Agree 0
    Regarding this teacher drop-out: I am working in a school where we get a number of pre-service teachers coming through. I am astounded to learn that there is such a difference in the amount of classroom teaching that is done during their training. I have just had a request from a pre-service teacher to do voluntary work in the school because she does not have any face-to-face teaching in the classroom until her fourth year. Others do 4 weeks and then a day here or there in their final year while others do a whole term in their final year after having done 4 - 6 weeks, twice a year in previous years. There seems to be a huge gap here in the training of teachers. Speaking from experience, what is taught at uni does not prepare a person for teaching. The classroom is a whole different ball game, especially for those teachers who have had very little exposure to the classroom experience. Maybe, we should be looking at the course outlines and practicums from the various education institutions that our teachers are coming from. This could go a long way in retaining our teachers. They might actually decide that teaching is not for them if they were exposed to the classroom environment more often and for longer periods of time than some are currently getting. Just a thought!
Post a reply