The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

New authority can close schools, conduct snap inspections

Notify me of new replies via email
  • Steve | 19 Aug 2016, 06:51 PM Agree 0
    Once again a Minister contradicts him/her self. If the proposed changes and powers are truly designed to help schools and improve student outcomes, why should schools be nervous - especially around teaching standards? It's about time those in power learned that whipping people in order to "help" them is a teaching method proven ineffective many years ago. If you want to improve student outcomes give educators the flexibility to respond to student needs instead of caging them within more layers of "standards" and oppressive threats of closure.
  • | 14 Sep 2016, 12:48 AM Agree 0
    Well said. I also find it extremely confusing that after years of study and training, that the board can so easily use terms such as the revocation of a teacher's accreditation without making any reference to what happens when you take away a person's livelihood. Needless to say, that in such a subjective field as teaching, revocations will take place whether merited or not. Furthermore, why should teaching outside a nsw school not count for anything at all? It seems unnecessarily harsh to refuse to recognise a teacher's teaching experience simply because it did not take place in a nsw school. I seriously doubt when the minister of education signed off on these laws that he understood the full ramifications of his actions. I'd hate to be in his shoes when for reasons I believe relate to basic work rights that it all backfires. But then he'll probably not be around for the aftermath. Shame on the nsw government for it's shabby treatment of a problem that requires other solutions and not the teacher's head. This is not the middle ages.
Post a reply