The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Let ADHD students fidget, research says

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 25 Jun 2015, 08:25 AM Agree 0
Students with ADHD who are allowed to fidget freely in class perform better on cognitive tasks, two new studies show.
  • Scott Ertl | 25 Jun 2015, 11:55 AM Agree 0
    es! Children need to move instead of having to sit still for 5-6 hours every day. As an elementary school counselor for 18 years, I have found two distinct needs for movement. Children with ADHD need much more sensory relief throughout the day to relieve their extra energy and keep their momentum going to think and concentrate. Sitting still actually slows them down.

However, all kids benefit from being active learners who can move when they need to release extra energy, anxiety, or frustration. Movement for them can also help to refresh them from academic fatigue and stimulate more energy to work. In experimenting with yoga balls, standing desks, wiggle seats and Bouncy Bands, there are benefits from all of these resources. My students found the most success with Bouncy Bands, since they are quiet, inexpensive, attach quickly to student desks and chairs for kids to bounce their feet and stretch their legs when sensory stimulation is needed.

The real solution is for teachers to provide more active learning instead of passive learning. Expecting children to listen to lectures all day isn't effective or healthy.
Post a reply