The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Inclusive education helping students most in need

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 11 Jun 2015, 08:01 AM Agree 0
In the midst of the disability funding crisis, one school has made changes to provide its special needs students with a quality education.
  • Grace | 11 Jun 2015, 09:27 PM Agree 0
    Yes they do need special help. How ever main stream school is not the answer for all having a child with autism and brain damage I. Know. The. Child is now an adult. In their. 40s. Yes they do get picked on. A lot. And most can't stand up for the selfs. Their brothers and sisters even. Cousins. Get picked on. Besides. They. Like. Yes like being with. Others of their. Kind. They meet boyfriends and girlfriends they share interest. In what they like but most. They understand each. Main stream not for all. And after 40 odd years. I know. Believe be. Let them choose. They will pick people like them. In special schools. And. So called. Shelter. Work. Places. They are. Just like everyone else. So with respect. Let there be special schools. Let there be. Shelter work. Places but above all. Let them live how they want to.
    • Sam | 14 Jun 2015, 08:49 PM Agree 0
      HI Grace, Your experience is just that, your experience. My experience is different. My kid loves having friends who also have intellectual disability, but we do that outside of school hours. At school, he's fully included, and for the most part, thriving. His behaviours aren't as "odd" as they would be if he was in a special school, learning from other "odd" kids. He's learnt German, about the about the war in Afghanistan, acted some Shakespeare,and has access to the school gym equipment - forgive me if I'm wring, but I don't reckon they learn that in special school! The incidence of violence is significantly lower in mainstream, and same with bullying. Anyone who thinks their kid is safer in a special school is so so wrong - much more violence and bulling and sexual abuse in special settings than mainstream.
      I'm all for people choosing how they live, but it has to be when they know what the choices are, and the consequences. If parents knew and understood the incidence of abuse in special schools, there wouldn't be many special schools anymore.

Post a reply