The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Expert touts solution to education gap

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 08 Apr 2016, 11:20 AM Agree 0
There is a solution to closing the disadvantage gap that deserves a lot more attention than what it’s getting, says a prominent education program director.
  • Dorothy Hoddinott | 15 Apr 2016, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    One in twelve disadvantaged students repeating a year! I am not sure where that figure comes form, but it certainly has not been my experience working in disadvantaged school. There are significant savings to be made in education funding: removing the unnecessary chaplaincy program and reinvesting those funds into additional support for low SES schools, would be a start. Reducing the huge sums of money paid particularly to wealthy private schools under current formulae would also be sensible. The idea much favoured by politicians of both sides never to reduce funds is not equitable and serves only to reinforce the widening class gap between public and private schools. We all lose as a result because of the loss of potential of students most in need of support.
Post a reply