The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Could this be the solution to Australia’s maths decline?

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 05 Aug 2015, 08:30 AM Agree 0
Getting students involved in STEM education requires more than isolated funding initiatives, says professor and author, Kaye Stacey.
  • Susan Hyde | 05 Aug 2015, 10:16 AM Agree 0
    Learning mathematics in our country has a serious image problem. As a maths teacher I cannot count the number of times I have heard a parent say, I was no good at maths, so I can understand how you don't get it Tanya/Tony. Cognitive scientists and in particular Carol Dweck reminds us of the limiting factors associated with the fixed mindset about our ability to learn maths. The idea that only some people can learn maths is deeply understood in our country, and drives the unfortunate ability grouping of students from an early age, locking them out of the full beauty and possibilities of the subject. And worse, is the gender mindset that boys are better at maths. Then there is the maths anxiety factor, reported by the ACER where they detected the maths anxiety of primary school teachers projected onto their students. PISA reports that maths anxiety is quite high in Australia. This all seems rather complicated; how can we turn this around? I wonder if a high profile publicity campaign could help kick off the conversation, yes we all can learn maths, our brains are wired for it.
Post a reply