The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

BYOD scheme is unfair - parents

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 23 Mar 2016, 08:13 AM Agree 0
Parents are calling for public schools to scrap Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies, saying they discriminate against poorer families.
  • Zen | 23 Mar 2016, 04:36 PM Agree 0
    Parents feeling pressured is not a school problem. People have a variety of devices for different reasons. Personally, I use a Mac Air. My son used my former Mac Air for a couple of years. By the time we retired it was 6 years old (twice the predicted life of 3 years). When we changed, he preferred the Pro and we opted to do that by reasoning out that this will also take him through university.

I don't know many parents who are cashed up, most of us struggle with certain areas of finance at regular points, notably when school fee's are due, insurance policies are due and so on. Pointing at BYOD is like pointing at sneakers and saying that we should standardise on training shoes because some people are posers. We have brought our children up to respect themselves and to respect others. Any form of one-up-man-ship in terms of possessions is disrespect. That is a parent driven value, not a school mandated one.

There will always be people who are outside of the bell curve who are either very poor or very rich. For those in the former group, the school should have funding available to contribute towards the cost of the device.

• Paul | 24 Mar 2016, 09:53 AM Agree 0
    Aside from the logistic aspects of whether the device should be school owned vs BYO - we need to recognise the relevance and impact personally owned devices have on learning, which have enormous potential to transform learning and teaching experiences.
    Note key findings from the University of Hull in Scotland - iPad Evaluation.
    'The adoption of a personalised device such as an iPad significantly transforms access to and use of technology inside the classroom with many attendant benefits'
    'Personal ‘ownership’ of the device is seen as the single most important factor for successful use of this technology:'

Interesting to note of a highly disadvantaged school in Victoria (large refugee population) where parents provide their child with a BYO iPad.
    Also worth considering that cost of an iPad over a three year period, averages out to be around 50c / day.

About time we stepped out of the 1900s model of thinking of learning and schooling.
  • Peter Curtis | 29 Mar 2016, 11:29 PM Agree 0
    The transformational power of devices is greatly exaggerated
Post a reply