The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Biometric tech in schools: where is the red line?

Notify me of new replies via email
Brett Henebery | 16 Jun 2016, 10:00 AM Agree 0
Schools are increasingly turning to biometric technologies to improve the collection of data, as well as on-site security – but is such surveillance going too far?
  • bumblebee | 21 Jun 2016, 11:42 PM Agree 0
    Technology goes too far when anyone says no to something and it is ignored or refused to be honored. Our ability, our free will to say no to something and having it overridden is when technology is too far. When any technology will not allow people to participate, utilize, access under a persons own expressed limitations is when it has gone too far. Since when is having more information than a name required to read a book, check out a book, etc. There needs to be a minimalistic approach to collection of data, and anything that goes beyond that is when technology is going too far. One has to also envision how this collection of data is to be utilized. We live in a society that looks not to open access for people, but uses it to deny people. The collection of data, which if people have not notice, is a commodity to be bought and sold as well. Does this mean that what is mine, my own personal data, which is bought and sold by others, not in some way stealing from the source. There seems to be an aspect that the owners of a technology get to dictate what is right and wrong, needed and unneeded, rather than the enduser, the person having the rights here. Then one has to acknowledge the fact that ethics, ethical use of technology is the last but most important aspect considered.
Post a reply