The Educator forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Are laptops and tablets in our classrooms distracting students?

Notify me of new replies via email
The Educator | 02 Dec 2014, 03:58 PM Agree 0
Do you think having tablets and laptops in classrooms is distracting our students?
  • Caution needed | 05 Dec 2014, 11:36 AM Agree 0
    I do wonder about the implications of students too heavily using computers in the classroom. I hope schools that routinely allow the use of these technologies in the classroom utilise software to ensure social media channels (and other sites which have no potential to be useful for anything related to an educational endeavour) are blocked.
  • JoeCitizen | 10 Dec 2014, 08:39 AM Agree 0
    It depends on how the student is wired. If they're easily distracted, they're always going to find themselves distracted by something in the classroom, even if laptops, etc weren't in the picture.
  • Andrew | 16 Dec 2014, 10:10 AM Agree 0
    I am old enough to remember being distracted looking out the window, passing notes along the back row or just doodling at the back of the exercise book. Students now have technology to pursue the distraction, but in itself the technology isn't the problem.
    Our digital and online life is changing the way we read and the pressure we place on ourselves to "multitask". Schooling focussed on one mode of transmission (teacher directed) don't fit into this model and modern students have less patience, seeking alternative information streams more readily.
    Schooling needs to change, but to blame technology for causing distraction is challenging the tool instead of the disease.
Post a reply